~except for one little thing. a wasted 2 hours. (*who am i kidding - i waste 2 hours in the am and the pm on most days... um. everyday, i mean*)
it started with a bright idea this morning before even getting out of bed. i was determined to make it a fun morning for the middle child and the neglected baby. jackson would be at school, and i would take brady and carter to the mall in durham - about 40 minutes away.
so - jackson was dropped off in all his kindergarten glory, and we returned home just long enough to get b & c into daytime clothes. it took a little wrestling with brady boo, as he is EXTREMELY attached to a certain new pair of jammies that is covered in bugs that he just got from granny carol. here's the best pose i got from him after he ran upstairs, picked out some clothes all by himself, and put on wardrobe change numero uno:
what you can't see is the buzz lightyear logo and neon green stripe down the other leg of the navy blue pants. ANOTHER thing you can't see is the front of the shirt hiked up a little too far up the front of his neck, as only a backwards applied shirt can do.
back to my story. i did get him to change his clothes (a dino t-shirt went well with the buzz pants - cause there was neon green in it, dontcha know?!). we packed our bags for the mall, and were on our way. i even had the forethought to go to our media rack and pull down a few dvds that we hadn't watched in a good 2 months. as much as i love the backyardigans, i can only handle so much. so i picked 2 different baby einsteins and meet the robinsons. LOVE that movie.
we got there fine. we got into the mall fine. this is where the story gets hairy. we even got to the play area ZPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP (think the sound of a record scratching, k?) or what used to be the play area. just. fine.
i wish WiSh WISH i had gotten the memo that the play area at the southpoint mall was going to be under renovations during the month of DECEMBER?!?!?!!!!!!! i did not. i would have loved to complain to someone about how horrible their timing was, but i'm naturally a pretty UN confrontational kinda gal - and who am i kidding - would ANYTHING come of it if i acted like i owned the place and my kids were let down by their untimely decision to makeover my FAVORITE play area in the whole. wide. world?! nope.
we walked around a bit. i EVEN took about 3 minutes of our precious wasted time to venture into SPENCER'S!! on purpose, y'all. no metion of the things i saw while in there that i had no intentions of seeing. that's a whole 'nother post. i had an item in mind for my kids! LOL! not kidding. before you lose your breath, i had only the most g-rated item to buy - glow in the dark stars - and let me just tell you - jackson's feelings on the matter can be summed up with these words... "mom - our house is like a museum!!!" he then went on to explain that we have 2 fish, all kinds of musical instruments and now, best of all, star stickers. a planetarium, even.
so that's the summary of the morning i didn't plan on being so wasted, which after all, was not entirely wasted, and how it actually did not ruin my day.
so without any further adieu, let me outline some of the reasons... today was a good day...
1. i showered. and it was way before we needed to be hunkering down on getting-out-the-house routine stuff.
2. carter seems to be responding to his antibiotic he's been on for 3 days for an ear infection. slept well last night - and has eaten like he ought to today.
3. brady's first outfit really did make me smile. when i asked him if i could take his picture, he said, "yes, take a picture of me sleeping." that's what i got!
4. rodney brought home a lovely gift from a coworker - salted pecans.
5. i washed my favorite white sheets (which normally are only off my bed long enough to get laundered), and have actually already gotten to bathe myself in all their cloroxed AND fabric softened glory.
6. ^that one took place from about 8:30 pm to 10:30 pm tonight. i watched oprah, the rest of my dvr'd lifetime movie about amber frye, AND the white house christmas special, recorded last night on TNT.
7. while executing number 6, i saw "straight no chaser" perform a pretty cool version of "the 12 days of christmas." (mr. linky) and best of all...
8. also on the tnt white house christmas special, casting crowns sang a beautiful arrangement of "i heard the bells on christmas day." this is one of my favorite christmas songs this year - my choir is singing it on the 28th (not this version) - and the resounding message of "peace on earth" gives me chills. here's a youtube video of the song... enjoy. :)
sorry i ended up being so long winded. i sat down with intentions to write for 5 minutes, tops. for some reason, that's increasingly hard to do.