Sunday, September 5, 2010

Yardwork in September

So, I'm rather sore today. Yesterday was yard day. As in - we-haven't-lifted-a-finger-out-here-for-about-16-months-so-let's-get-it-lookin'-good -again-day. Who knew that pickin' some weeds, trimmin' a few bushes (all flowering bushes - that's September for ya), and spreading 5 cubic yards of triple-shredded hardwood much could be so taxing?! (Translation: FIVE trips to the mulch yard, FIVE times Rodney UN-loaded the mulch onto the driveway to add to growing pile, and FIVE THOUSAND (ish?!) wheelbarrows full spread ever so carefully around our front and side yards... Just sayin.')

Before and after pics are always nice, yes?

8-26-10 Mulch was practically dead. No better way to describe it.
8-26-10 Flowers in full bloom, but unfortunately on their last leg.

And the AFTER PIX! (*WHY WHY WHY did I forget to get a "During" shot? Not gonna lie - Mr. Steelman doing yardwork has always made my heart go pitter patter.)

9-4-10 New Mulch!!!



Just for reference - 5 cubic yards (in one heap) are about the size of a 2000 Toyota Tacoma. In case you were ... wondering. ;)





Poor Lantana - I bet they feel like they've been neutered.
Hard to tell from this picture, but the bush pictured here at the base of one of our crape myrtles is a loropetalum. I'm so proud that we've finally planted a few of those that lived - I've tried and tried, and finally succeeded!


Not my pic - but the variety of Lorotetalum I believe I have - It's called "Razzleberry!" How cool is that?! Makes me think of the a certain feel good song from the movie Pete's Dragon. Oh, why not? Here's the link below:

Brazzle Dazzle Day

Last pic. Thanks for stoppin' by. Come back soon. :)


2 comments:

Kirsty said...

Looks pretty, fresh and lovely! You'd never know it had been neglected. I have shamelessly organized a work "party" for our yard for tomorrow (labour day-appropriate no?) because since I have been in bed for 3 months and my husband has been doing my job(s)and his for the same length of time, the yard has become a disaster of biblical proportions. I am hoping ours looks as good as yours when all is said and done.
Thank you for reading my blog and for your kind and thoughtful comments xo

Susan Hancock said...

Lee- I missed this posting somehow. You yard looks amazing! What hard work. I can't wait to see it all in person- love you my baby girl.