Sunday, March 23, 2008

Rockin' my baby

Thanks cousin Ali for the inspiration.

Maybe you've heard this poem before... Maybe you haven't. Well, I just love it! I'm posting it more for me than for anyone else... And, just for good measure, here are a couple of pictures to fit the occasion. Aly took this one of Josy and Charlie, and its one of my all-time favorite Aly pictures.

Photobucket

This is also one of my favorites - EVER. On Grandma Margarette's Porch. Easter Sunday 1985. Leah, Pa, and Joel Jr. (Somebody please tell me for sure what year it is - I can't figure out if Joel is 4 months or 16 months - To me, he looks about 10 months, so I'm very confused!)
Photobucket


***********************************


Mother, O Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing, make up the bed,
Sew on a button and butter the bread.

Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I've grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue,
Lullabye, rockabye, lullabye loo.
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo

The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
And out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
But I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo
Look! Aren't his eyes the most wonderful hue?
Lullabye, rockaby lullabye loo.

The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
But children grow up as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

- Ruth Hulbert Hamilton


12 comments:

Allison Bernauer said...

Hey Leah. I just set up a blog....you Hancock's have inspired me. Mine is http://allisonbernauer.blogspot.com/ I love to read your posts!

Strommer Family said...

Very great poem..and as you can see with the author's name I clearly wrote in another life...with a different last name!!!! ;)

Wendi said...

I left a comment...where did it go?

I love this post!
I love the photo of Joella and baby Charlie.
I can't wait to meet him!
I love the photo of you and Joel and your Dad.(does he ever change?) I mean your dad.

It seems my friend is trying to out "post" me...it is on!!!

Susan Hancock said...

Hey little mama! I do love that poem- seems like I used to recite the last verse almost every day and I would just rock, and rock, and smell, and kiss, and love life! You remind me alot of me with my babies!

Joel was just 5 months old here- it was his first Easter, and you were just 3. Pa was working for Conner Homes, and we had a little extra money that year. I went to Belks and bought my sweet children new dresses. (I think I had made the Easter dresses for a few years prior to that! Remember the polka dots with different color trim??)

Joel had on a pair of little white shorts that Holly Lawrence gave him- they had white suspenders, and I thought they were so great! He had fat legs, and little white knee socks.

Love you, thanks again for the sweet memories.

Mama

leah said...

Gosh - he was BIG for 5 months! LOL!

Kari and Kijsa - I looked at your site today, and can I tell you - not only am I inspired to do more cool things around my house - but ALSO, feel a NEED for a diet coke for some reason! LOL!

Wendi - I could start giving you a 1 hour advanced warning when I feel a post coming on. LOL! Scratch that - I have a feeling you like the surprise. LOL!

... I just said LOL at the end of every "paragraph!" LOL! teeheeeheee

Emily<3 said...

Leah your posts are always so inspiring! I look forward to reading more!

ps. Sticky or Stinky...Im weighing those two out! I think its a tie:) and YES! I do happen to have some "Rose blood" in me;)

Wendi said...

I left you a little homework on my blog...enjoy!

Joel said...

If I was 5 months then it was 1984, not 1985.

leah said...

i know when you were born, holmes. i had just assumed you were older than younger, so i guessed '85. after mama cleared it up, i should have edited the post, but just haven't... but as you say, it was '84. right on, brother. ;)

Joella Hancock Morris said...

Love all the pics! I'm so glad Aly could come to the hospital to capture some of Charlie's first moments.

Zoey is sitting here looking at the pictures with me, and thinks that the little girl sitting next to Pa is her. I must not be the only one to think that her blond curls and infectious are a lot like yours.


Love you,
Joella

Joella Hancock Morris said...

That was supposed to say "infectious smile"!

Christy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.